|Torta Pasqualina - Easter
This is a savory torta, similar to a quiche. It make an excellent appetizer or side dish. Make it on its own and serve with a salad.
- 1 ½ pounds fresh spinach, washed
- black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 2 sheets of pastry crust
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup of pignoli (pine nuts)
- 3 Tbs butter
- 4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, cut into small cubes
- Put 2 Tbs butter in a pot and melt over a medium heat.
- Add the spinach to the pot and cook until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Remove and drain the spinach.
- Add 1 Tbs butter to the pot and melt.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until just tender.
- Return the spinach to the pot and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the beaten eggs, pine nuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and Gorgonzola cheese.
- Line a 9” flan tin with one sheet of pastry. Press up the edges well.
- Spread the spinach and cheese mixture over the pastry crust.
- Top with the second pastry sheet. Pinch the edges together to seal. Prick the top with a fork.
Bake at 400F for 35 minutes, until golden brown.