- 2 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small small onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 8 chicken legs, skin removed
- 1/2 cup homemade or canned low-sodium chicken stock
- Cooked couscous, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375º. In a large bowl, combine carrots, chickpeas, onion, raisins, ginger, garlic, thyme, lemon zest, and olive oil; toss to coat.
2. In a separate large bowl, stir together 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon. Add chicken legs, and toss to coat.
3. Have ready four 12-by-17-inch sheets of parchment. Lay a sheet of the parchment paper on a work surface. Place 1/4 vegetable mixture in center of sheet; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle 2 tablespoons chicken stock over vegetables. Center 2 chicken legs over vegetables.
4. To seal packet, bring edges of parchment together, and make a 1-inch fold, and crease. Make another 1/2-inch fold in the same direction, and crease to form a seam. Working with the edges of a short end, fold in towards center to meet, creating a triangle (as if wrapping a gift). Fold point under a few times, and press to seal; repeat with other side. Repeat with remaining ingredients and remaining 3 sheets of parchment.
5. Transfer packets to a baking sheet. Bake until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. To serve, carefully cut open each packet with kitchen shears. Remove chicken and vegetables, and serve over couscous.