- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3-4 red chillies, crushed and chopped (or red curry paste)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised and chopped
- 1 teaspoon medium curry paste (don't always use this if we have used the red curry paste instead of
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 in cinnamon stick
- 3 oz (crunchy) peanut butter
- l/3 tbsp tamarind juice
- l/2 tbsp fish sauce
- l/ tbsp palm sugar (if you don't have palm sugar, use brown sugar)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the garlic and onion - cook until it softens.
Then add the chillies or chili paste, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and the medium curry paste (if you are using that too). Cook this for about 2 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, cinnamon stick, peanut butter, tamarind juice,
fish sauce, palm sugar and lemon juice.
Then reduce heat and simmer, (about 15-20 mins) stirring until it thickens and to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.